Some development, permit, licensing, and construction and inspection services are still operating at adjusted levels.

For interior and exterior alterations, renovations, additions, tenant space improvements, selective or partial demolitions, changes to business activities (change of use) and/or site changes to commercial, industrial, and institutional buildings.

This also applies to changes to apartments/condos, rowhouses with 5 or more dwelling units, stacked rowhouses, and mixed-used (blend of commercial and residential) buildings.

Do I Need A Permit? 

Permits are required for:

Changes in activity in a space

  • Change to the business activity or change of use, such as:
    • From retail to restaurant 
    • From residential to office
    • From office to residential  
    • Adding residential units 
  • Change in intensity of business activity, such as increasing the number of seats in a restaurant


  • First tenant in a new shell building
  • Renovating a condominium
  • Adding exterior balconies to an apartment building
  • Change to exterior doors, windows, walls and roofs
  • Change to the interior, such as walls, washrooms, stairs and mezzanines 
  • Change to building systems: heating and ventilating, plumbing, gas, and electrical systems
  • Change to life safety systems such as fire alarm, sprinkler, standpipe, etc.


Installation, alteration or upgrade of equipment affecting the building, such as:

  • Storage racking
  • Commercial cooking equipment
  • Vehicle repair equipment such as paint spray booths or hoists 
  • Charging/fuelling of forklifts

Changes to the existing site

  • Change to site access 
  • Change to existing site layouts, such as to landscape islands or parking aisles
  • Change to the parking lot, sidewalk or line striping affecting accessible parking stalls

Permits are not required for:

  • Cosmetic interior changes such as painting, changing flooring, or cabinetry
  • Re-roofing or re-siding with materials of a similar type and assembly