The Community Standards Bylaw regulates noise in the community that results in the disturbance of the peace of another individual. Be a respectful neighbour. Everyone has the right to not be disturbed by noise. 

Most noise is only permitted between 7am - 10pm, 7 days a week. 

There are some types of noise that fall outside these time restrictions such as construction noise.

Nuisance Neighbourhood Noise

Dog Barking

Complaints involving animals are investigated by the City’s Animal Care and Control Officers. Contact 311 to file a complaint. The Animal Care and Control Bylaw regulates all noise caused by Dogs.

Garbage Collection

The collection of garbage is not permitted before 7 am, or after 10 pm. The allowable times for waste pick up only apply to properties zoned for residential use, or properties adjacent to those zoned for residential use. There is no time restriction for Commercial properties.

Snow Removal (by machine or other)

It is the responsibility of every property owner to maintain their sidewalks, and keep clear of all snow and ice. Noise created by snow removal falls under general noise and is permitted between 7 am and 10 pm. If an individual(s) are continuously causing a disturbance outside that specified time then please submit a complaint by calling 311.

Grass Cutting

Cutting the grass falls under general noise and is permitted between 7 am and 10 pm. If your neighbour is continuously cutting outside that specified time and the noise is causing a disturbance, then please submit a complaint by calling 311.

Ventilation/Air Conditioning Units

The City will only accept and investigate complaints for units that are not mechanically sound (not running properly). As an industry standard, most residential ventilation/air conditioning units emit a sound that exceeds the decibel limit as outlined in the Community Standards Bylaw

Parties or Loud People

If you have concerns about loud people or parties please contact the Edmonton Police Service non-emergency complaint line at 780-423-4567.


Vehicles with loud stereos, modified exhaust systems, revving and careless use of a motor vehicle that generates noise that is disturbing to others. The use of engine retarder brakes is another form of nuisance noise that is not allowed under the Community Standards Bylaw. Submit your vehicular noise complaint by email to

Construction Activity

Noise from construction work is only permitted:

Monday 7am-9pm
Tuesday 7am-9pm
Wednesday 7am-9pm
Thursday 7am-9pm
Friday 7am-9pm
Saturday 7am-9pm
Sunday 9am-7pm

Holiday Hours:  9am-7pm

Commercial Trucks

Oversized vehicles must use established truck routes. For more information regarding Truck Routes or where to obtain a Truck Route Map, call 311.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is considered excessive?

Excessive noise thresholds will be determined by a number of factors including but not limited to: the impact the noise has on other people in the area, readings from noise monitoring equipment in applicable enforcement locations and officer provided evidence.

What factors does an Officer consider when investigating a noise complaint?
  • Type, volume, and duration of the sound
  • Time of day and day of the week 
  • Nature and use of the surrounding area 
  • Decibel level, if measured
  • Any other relevant factor
What if I have my own Decibal reader, and it states that the noise is at its limit?

Although the  Community Standards Bylaw does lay out several decibel limits in regards to noise, officers are not required to take a reading. The sound level is one consideration officers will take into account for their investigation. Decibel readings obtained by Citizens are not reliable and may or may not be considered by the Officer.

What are the laws around excessive vehicle noise?

Vehicle noise can be addressed and enforced through the province’s Traffic Safety Act and its Regulations. In particular Section 82 of the 

Traffic Safety Act: Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation

and Section 61 of the

Traffic Safety Act: Vehicle Equipment Regulation

What is the penalty?

The specified penalty amount for contravening the aforementioned Regulations is $162.


Protecting your Privacy

All personal information requested or required is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (Alberta) (FOIP Act) for the purpose of responding to your complaint and enforcing municipal bylaws. This information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with the FOIP Act. In particular, personal information submitted through 311, the 311 app, or the online complaint form will be disclosed to appropriate business areas within the City so they may respond to your complaint. In addition, if the complaint leads to bylaw enforcement, your personal information may be required to be disclosed as part of the court proceeding. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.