The Business Licence Bylaw 20002 requires all businesses operating in the City of Edmonton to have a business licence. Bylaw enforcement will investigate reports of businesses operating without a licence.

Your approved business licence must be in place to operate legally before you open your business. A City of Edmonton business licence must be renewed yearly. Your customers expect you to be properly licensed.

Reporting Your Concerns

If you have a concern about a business operating without a valid licence:

  • Discuss the concern with the business owner
  • Record the address of the violation and a description of the problem if you can't resolve it directly with the business owner
  • Call 311
  • Provide your name, address, phone number, and the details of your concern in case your testimony is required in court

Responding to Your Complaint

After you call 311, the City takes these steps to help with your issue:

  1. A file is created specifying your concerns
  2. A Municipal Enforcement Officer (MEO) opens an investigation
  3. The officer investigates your complaint within 4 business days
  4. The MEO may issue a warning notice with directions to remedy the problem within a specified time frame or issue a bylaw ticket with a fine ranging from $400 to $10,000, depending on the type of business activity, the number of days operating without a licence, and other circumstances
  5. The City may contact you to appear as a witness, if the matter goes to court

Protecting your Privacy

The information you provide will be used to process your complaint, but your name and address will not be made available to anyone else. For more information on how the City protects your privacy visit Freedom of Information and Privacy.