Do I Need A Permit?
Permits are required for common renovation projects such as:
- Changing the exterior finish material of a house
- Adding or changing the size of a window or exterior door
- Building or finishing a living/recreation room, bedroom or bathroom
- Repairs due to fire or flood damage
- Structural changes
Permits are not required for maintenance or minor cosmetic upgrades such as:
- Replacing flooring, painting, installing kitchen cabinets
- Replacing roof shingles
- Replacing windows of the same size
- Replacing the exterior finish of a house with similar materials (such as replacing existing vinyl siding with new vinyl siding)
Unsure Which Permits You Need?
Use the residential permit guide to help determine which permits you need and an estimate of fees before you apply.